MBA Dissertation – Impact of CSR on Business Practice
CSR Corporate Social Responsibility – This MBA dissertation explores the importance of implementing sustainable standards and initiatives in the meeting industry sector. In order to succeed in its aim, the following key aspects have been evaluated: the theoretical framework of sustainability itself and the increasing relevance of sustainability in the meeting industry and the inherent gaps in this; the most commonly implemented sustainable standards in the meeting industry sector and companies’ motives for adopting sustainability standards as well as to find out which factors influence on the organisation’s decision to implementing those initiatives; to define which challenges companies face when they implement sustainable standards.
Finally, to analyse why some companies are not certified yet, which sustainability activities these organisations do and if they plan to get certified with sustainable standards in the future. In contrast to the previous literature, which is suffered from lack of empirical knowledge, this research contributes to existing knowledge by implementing the convergent parallel research design and focusing on motives of the companies for implementing the standards, benefits and challenges faced by companies while implementing those standards, and how the adoption of sustainable initiatives and standards influence on customer loyalty.
The research is based on an analysis of survey with 120 responses from small, medium and large meeting industry companies (13% response rate), and on six (6) semi-structured interviews. The results reveal that the notion of CSR is popular concern among different companies and organisations in the industry. The findings also show that the implementation of sustainable standards becomes a part of the company’s everyday activities. In particular, the results show the implementation of sustainable standards is driven by several motives, such as increasing customer loyalty and satisfaction, ability to access international markets and acknowledging Social Responsibility. In addition, the findings reveal the main benefits of adopting the standards: fewer resources used and cut waste have been defined, while the main challenges are time consuming and expensive prices for certification. Moreover, it is important to highlight that some companies face challenges while implementing the standards such as lack of internal expertise on sustainable standards. It can be concluded, that providing of better and clear guidelines for implementing sustainable standards are needed.
- To present the theoretical framework of sustainability and CSR and the increasing relevance of sustainability in the meeting industry and the inherent gaps in this.
- To discuss the most commonly implemented sustainable standards in the meeting industry sector.
- To conduct a primary research in order to determine the motives of the meeting industry companies to implementing sustainable standards.
- To analyse benefits obtained from adopting sustainable standards as well as to find out which challenges the companies face while implement the standards.
- To discover how certification with standards influences on customer loyalty and which reporting activities companies undertake or plan to undertake.
- To analyse why some companies are not certified yet, which sustainability activities these organisations do and if they plan to get certified with sustainable standards in the future.